Saturday, May 8, 2010

Le Plus Gai Souvenir

My black and white party, October 2009
Before one of our many nighttime walks around Aix
My roommate's birthday, November 2009
Cassis, April 2010
Barcelona, February 2010
Program Thanksgiving dinner, November 2009
F(r)amily Thanksgiving at Alex and Mary's, November 2009
Nikki's Birthday, November 2009
Matching aprons from Venice, October 2009
Sarah's Birthday, October 2009
Kebab's in Florence, October 2009

Market in Arles, September 2009

No lapse of time or distance of place can lessen the friendship of those who are truly persuaded of each other's worth
.

In class on Thursday, one of my language teachers announced we were going to have a little test on written expression. It's that time of year, so we just sighed, pulled out our French-French dictionaries, and readied for our prompt.

The subject of the writing assignment was, "What is your happiest or saddest souvenir that you will take home/take away from your experience in France?"

I thought about it for a few minutes, thinking of all my city mugs, trinkets and pictures from my travels and days traipsing around Provence and the European Union, and a thought crossed my mind that I knew immediately was to be the subject of my essay.

I have two happiest souvenirs from this trip, Sarah and Nikki.

We have done everything together. We have had tapas is Barcelona, apple strudel in Vienna, gelato in Florence, decadent chocolate in Geneva, and have spent countless afternoons together at cafes in Provence.

Nikki, Sarah and I are all very different. Nikki and I bond over our love for trinkets, souvenirs, and the quest for city mugs, along with perfect teeth. Sarah and I have really similar personalities, but tend to have really varying interests, so we have gotten really excellent at meeting each other in the middle on most things.

What I enjoy and appreciate about Sarah and Nikki is that despite all the compromising positions we've seen each other in, we have managed to stay close all year, which is more than I can say for a lot of program friendships.

Living overseas changes you in ways you may not notice until long after your re-entry into the United States, I imagine. I think that going through the trials and struggles that one can only experience overseas bonds friends in a manner that nothing else can.

The gals and I plan to spend our last 3 days in France in Paris, with one day at Versailles (my birthday!) and the next creating our own perfect day in the city of light that will include a cheese and bread picnic lunch by the Eiffel Tower and dinner at Cafe De L'Homme together.

No comments:

Post a Comment