Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Cold, Cold Rain

In January, I struggle.

My whole life I have been able to work through the temporary seasonal affective disorder because I was living in California, a place where the winter weather is usually mild...the rainy days last less than a week, and temperature rarely drops below 50.

The last two years, I have been able to escape the sadness especially well, due to my employment at a place that brings general joy and happiness to coffee drinkers around the globe.

I always knew that whatever the weather, I could walk into work and make it better with something hot.

Not to mention my first year in Chico when me and Steven would skip class if it was raining and have lunch at the Brewery, then hot chocolates, the rain made us so down!

Last winter, in my 100 year old brick house made into a studio, my space heater kept me warm like a personal fireplace.

I find creative ways to keep happy and warm.

This year, I am out of ideas.

I know what you're thinking. She's in France for heaven's sake, what more happiness can she need?

Well, when its been cloudy and wet for weeks, constantly is around 35 degrees, everything is made from grey-beige stone, the leaves have been long gone from the trees, and your mother has just left, things can get kind of tough.

Don't get me wrong, France any time of year is special and amazing and worth every minute of time spent enjoying the culture...but today I miss California.

No comments:

Post a Comment