Sunday, December 11, 2011

So I'm Basically An Adult Now, Right?

HA. As my favorite 90s diva says, AS IF.

Though I do generally feel pretty far from adulthood, things have been feeling more grown up lately.

Let's start with my work holiday party last week.

You'd think after growing up going to church every week I'd be immune to a man in a suit.

As my favorite Glee star says, hell to the no.

See below for context.

Our Christmas cocktail soiree was held last Thursday on the top floor terrace of the St. Regis in downtown San Francisco. I was dressed to the nines in a peach-turned-salmon colored tapered flowy number with the gold toga shoes of a Greek goddess and party hair Blake Lively would kill for.

I was feeling pretty great.

Little did I know, my male cohorts (though few and far between in a female-dominated industry) were set to out-do even the best and brightest belles of the ball.

Most of them in tuxes, these twenty and early thirty-somethings were killin' a girl in their penguin suits, (I won't even mention their mad skills on the dance floor). Who knew these princes in hiding met their fairy godfathers in the bathrooms at work post press release?

Not I.

I took a few moments in between compliments to the boys and club sodas to take in the breathtaking view of the San Francisco skyline. My heart beat a little faster as I stared at all the lights on the buildings of my own concrete jungle.

Have you ever driven over the Bay Bridge? Similar to my experience at the top of the St. Regis, whenever I come out of the tunnel and onto into the four or five lanes that span the Pacific, I am always in awe of the vast chicness that is the city by the bay.

Whenever I am sailing along at 65 MPH (not speeding, Mom) I always take a few seconds to scan the buildings, Coit Tower, Alcatraz and, on a clear day, The Golden Gate.

As I stared into the night sky last Thursday, I thought, how did I get so lucky?

How did the stars all align and I am standing here, surrounded by wonderful, talented, smart, fun, kind coworkers who love each other (for better and for worse let me tell you)?

The same feeling comes over me when I cross the bridge. A feeling of pure adrenalin mixed with sheer joy and a little teensy bit of gut wrenching panic because there are days when it seems to good to be true.

Well, mostly. I mean, I have my ups and downs.

Some days feel like the work simply cannot get done fast enough or well enough. But, in my quest into adulthood, I take the good with the bad and, as Andy Grammar says, keep my head up.

Other parts of being an adult include knowing when you've perhaps dropped the ball, that being said, sorry it's been so long since I've written.

Getting my job at Access and moving down here was such a huge experience things got dicey for a while. But, I hit my 3 month anniversary there last week and have gotten into an incredible groove, so I believe it is time to resume our regularly scheduled programming.

I have decided to take up reading again. When I was younger, I simply devoured books. As I got to college, my reading skills were reserved mostly for textbooks (and for those of you who knew me in college know my study time left something to be desired).

I, of course, read the Twilight books in a matter of days, and the Emily Giffin Something Borrowed and Something Blue books at the gym during my summers on the eliptical. Right now, I am reading Mindy Kaling's (of The Office) new auto biography, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? It is HILARIOUS.

Other things I am doing: anxiously awaiting the return of Grey's and Private Practice, keeping up with Glee, working out, attempting to eat healthy and drop a few before summer, whitenening my teeth and keeping up my blog.

Check and check.

No comments:

Post a Comment