Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Would A Rose By Any Other Name Smell As Sweet?


So... I am already behind on my 30 day challenge, but here's to playing catch up?

Work has be absolutely CRAZY this week, not that its ANY excuse but I leave in the dark, dark morning and come home in the dark, dark night.

I digress. Day Two: Explain your middle name.

I was born in May. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am Taurus through and through, from the stubborn tendencies to the unfailing loyalty.

That said, when I tell people my middle name is Mae, they always ask: oh, were you born in May?

Well, sure. I was. But that's a mere coincidence.

Mae is a family name.

I am merely the latest in a line of gals who bear the middle name Mae. I must say, I love that.

When I reached my mid-twenties (GASP!) I came to the realization that so many of my first real adult(ish) milestones have been reached as a Wallace. My first published story reads Caitlin Wallace, as well as my college diploma. Knowing that Mae will stick with me through the rest of life's big moments is the best of both worlds.

My mom and I have always been close, so I love it that we share a middle name. It feels appropriate to talk about her since today, January 11, is her birthday.

She and I share more than just a name. We share the same taste in movies, meals and muscle relaxants. We know exactly when to stash a Diet Coke in the fridge, purse or car. We both agree that the gift shop is really the most interesting room in any old European castle, even though it was likely built hundreds of years later.

We are both total anglophiles, and, to the astonishment of her current husband as well as my father, woke up at 2 am to watch Kate and Wills tie the royal knot until the final coverage subsided around 5 am PST.

I've always struggled with the whole, "things happen for a reason" concept, which is maybe why certain prayers have yet to be answered. I am undoubtedly being taught patience, trust and let's be real, life lessons; BUT there is no doubt in my mind that I was born into the right family.

I have my Dad's sense of humor and body (thanks for that?), but I'm mostly my mom. I like to think God knew we would need each other to make it through this life and on to the next.

Here's to my middle name and (hopefully) my daughter's after that.

**The photo above is of me, mumsy and her sister, my aunt, the last time we were all in San Francisco together. We were in the lobby of the Orpheum to see Wicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment